For the majority of good people out there who are only novice gardeners, gardening terms like perennial, shrub or pruning, don’t really mean much at all. However, these terms and other lingo are used often in gardening centres around Australia on labels and signs to give description to plants, tools and garden care.
There are a number of reasons in Australia why gardening is so popular, which can range from a wish to make an area look visually beautiful, to making an area functional for recreation. All garden enthusiasts in Victoria, are aware of a top class wholesale nursery in Melbourne from where they can go to get all of their gardening needs seen to.
Let’s take a look at some terminologies that you may have heard somewhere, but never got the real or full meaning:
- The art of landscaping is the rearranging of natural surroundings, somewhere to make it look a certain way.
- This typically features a lot in gardening, but landscaping can also include the building of walls and features that draw attention to an area, such as tree removal and planting new ones.
- This one involves no prunes, but the cutting off of any leaves or branches within a certain limit. (Kind of like a trim at the barbers or hairdressers!)
- Pruning also removes any type of diseased, damaged, dead, or structurally undesirable tissue from plants.
- The reasons for pruning plants and trees include:
- Removal of dead wood.
- Forming to Increase better health.
- Preparation of nursery specimens for transplanting.
- Accumulating and improving the yield or quality of flowers and fruits.
- Nobody has lost an arm or a leg here! Stumps as you know the remains of a fallen or felled tree.
- They are not high in aesthetics and can be a hazard in the garden, so it’s a good idea to remove it.
- They are known to cause new tree growth, become a home for insects and take up space.
- What is known as tree lopping is trimming parts of a tree and is akin to pruning, but on a larger scale.
- Lopping is the removal of branches, limbs, and trunk shortening.
- Tree lopping exists as part of the gardening scene, where the lopper has to reshape trees to mix in nicely with a garden’s surroundings.
- Every single person reading this must have heard this term, but what precisely does it mean?
- Organic gardening is a method of gardening minus any chemical pesticides, fertilisers or other additives.
- Organic gardening relies on all natural plant-derived ways to control pests and ready soil for optimum production, instead of making use of a fertiliser with horrible chemical additives.
- Indeed, any compost or manure from organically raised cattle gets used to better the condition of soil, and keeps it as nature originally intended.
So, now you’ve wised up to some gardening lingo, why not learn some more? Gardening makes for the happiest past time on the planet!