Sooner or later, you and your family will require additional living space, and with the choice of either upgrading or relocating, you can solve the space problem. It is unwise to move just because you need more space, and by sourcing the right builder, your extension can be both affordable and ideally designed to suit your lifestyle. For those who are thinking of extending anytime soon and are looking for a suitable building contractor, here are some things to look for.
- Established and Experienced – Ideally, the contractor would have been servicing the local community for at least 5 years, and preferably is very experienced with extension work. If, for example, you are looking for renovations and extensions in Perth, there is an excellent contractor that has a great reputation locally.
- Customer Focused – If you find a company that is customer focused, you will receive the highest level of service, and with nothing to much trouble and a “can do” attitude, you will be more than delighted with the new living space. The right type of contractor would spend as much time at the design stage as is necessary to ensure that the design really does fit in with your concept, and with their expertise, they might be able to show you a few designs you had not considered.
- Awards and Accreditations – Both awards and accreditations are good indicators of quality workmanship, and would suggest that the company uses best practices, and with awards within the construction industry hard to obtain, any company that has a few of these is sure to be one you can trust.
- Affordablility – While you should avoid any company that quotes an unusually low price, you should not automatically assume that the most expensive is the best, and somewhere around the mid-range would be expected. You obviously want the very best quality materials, and that won’t be cheap, but with an online search, you can easily locate several contractors and compare quotes.
- Solid Warranty – Any builder that is confident of a high standard of workmanship would offer a lengthy warranty on all work they carry out. If the builder is local, he would be able to furnish you with a few addresses or previous projects, which allows you to view their work first hand and you can also talk to the customer regarding how they felt about the project and the way the work was carried out. Many customer testimonials are another positive sign, as this demonstrates a high level of satisfaction, and that counts for so much.
- Ability to Work to a Budget – The last thing you need is a nasty surprise when the final bill arrives, so look for a company that has a no hidden extras policy, which will ensure that you will only pay the agreed amount when the contract was agreed upon.
If you manage to find a local builder that covers all of the above, it is very likely that the extension will exceed your expectations, and with the right design, you and your family will make maximum use of the additional living space.